Thursday, July 14, 2011

Italian-Style Sausage

Alright folks!

Here is the first installment of the recipes I used this week for my great big cookoff!

1 lb mild italian sausage, cut into small pieces
1 can (15oz) navy beans, rinsed and drained.
1/2 can chick peas (i used these because they were in the fridge but not needed in the recipe)
1 cup pasta sauce
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 onion, sliced

I doubled this and cooked it in a 7quart slow cooker.(not quite full)

The recipe originally calls for precooking the sausage in a fry pan, but i decided that the little fat that was in the sausage would actually be good for flavour, so I just threw everything into the pot together...and it came out great!!

Eat this with cooked rice, or whatever you like!!

Cost breakdown:

I bought a $10 package of sausages from Food Basics' freezer deals....

sausages used            $4.00
onions guessed          $0.10
green peppers (2)      $1.67
can of beans              $0.77
half a can of chick peas $0.50         
pasta sauce jar-Ragu old style $0.99

There was no spices in this dish because of the sausage and the pasta sauce that I used, it already had great flavour in it!  But feel free to add some if you like it stronger.....my kids don't.

I got 6 decent servings outta this one......total cost is $1.34 per serving!

Bon Appetit!!

No comments: