Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What I am doing for me this week

Well, what I am doing ins't really considered for me....yet.  I am cooking a whole bunch of meals and freezing them, so that I can spend less time in my kitchen and more time doing everything else.  I spend a majority of my day in the kitchen making 6 meals a day and snacks so there is too much time going on in there!

What I need more time for....

AJ wants to finish off the Sonlight program we purchased back in April.  We had a rocky year trying to find interest, focus and seemless progression.  We didn't find it with me burning out creating all these topics from scratch only to find out after it was done that it wasn't fun, interesting or motivation for him.  So, after a few weeks with Sonlight we have decided that it was truly a blessing however because it puts him "behind" his grade level he is upset that he cannot tell his neighborhood-schooled friend that he is going to grade 4 too.

This is a huge upset for him, so we will be plowing ahead through the summer to try to finish it faster.  And for that I need more time away from the kitchen without anyone going hungry at the same time!

Last night I started preparing all the veggies that I will need, and even managed to start a meal in my crock pot.  Italian-style sauages.  i made a double batch of this recipe and it smelled good overnight and it made it hard to sleep!!

I calculated the cost of all the ingredients I used for this whole pot and then decided that I would get a good 6 servings (technically I should have 8, but my hubby eats more than the standard serving size) and figured it would cost ......

$1.34 per serving!!

I love that!!

This morning I am cooking up some dried beans I've had soaking to add to a few recipes, as I am now out of the cheap cans.  Which I think is kinda funny, I paid 77 cents for a bunch of cans of beans yet I am still saving money with the cost of them dried....although I don't factor in the cost of the electricity to cook them, that is just a fact of life and will never be able to eliminate that!

So what i am going to do is post here the recipe name and the total cost of what i spent and how many servings i get and we'll see how well i have done!

next: pork porkolt- an amazing hungarian dish!

and cookie dough to freeze!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES!!! please post the recipes and the price- this sausage dish is something i would love to try :)

i just finished making a roast dish with tons of mushrooms- it tasted awesome with some leftover black beans :)

i wish i had a freezer to make a head dinners like you are doing sounds like a great idea